The cornerstone in the management of an overweight child is a lifestyle change that includes restriction of calories and increasing physical activity. It sounds so simple, right? Then why has the rate of obesity among children and adolescents tripled over the past three decades? Currently, a third of New York’s children are overweight or obese. These are the facts, now what can help?
Here are some practical goals to work with:
- Maintain a food diary. I know, you have heard this before! The reason why you have heard it before is because it works!! This will help you self-monitor what you are eating and how much. Commit to it for 21 days. It takes 21 days to break a habit. When you see what you are eating, you take responsibility.
- Don’t buy foods that you know are trigger foods. Come on…haven’t we ALL said to ourselves, “I will buy this bag of chips, ice cream, mac, and cheese etc. and I won’t eat all of it at one sitting.” And, haven’t we ALL eaten it in one sitting? Live Light Live Right is about moderation, not deprivation. However, if something is a trigger food, it might be best to hold off on buying it until you are at a healthier weight.
- Slow it down! How could you stomach possibly know you are full if you don’t give it time to register that it is full! Slow it down and your body will love you for it!
- Reward yourself! Met a goal? Do something for yourself! It doesn’t have to cost anything! Go shopping in your closet. We all have clothes that we wished we fit into. You never know what has come back into fashion while you are getting yourself healthy! Go for a bike ride, because you feel like you can do it now! Give your kids a special treat…time with you!! No phones, no TV…just you and them!
- Learn about nutrition. Have a question regarding what is healthy, what isn’t? Email the Live Light Live Right Program and we will help you! Come to your medical visit with questions for our amazing nutritionists! Want to know the answer now? Google it!! We have the world at our fingertips with our computer.
- Get moving! The Live Light Live Right program offers FREE exercise for your kids. Make sure they come! Come with them! Join in! Make being healthy a family vision. Come to as many classes as you would like. If you can’t make it for an exercise session….take a walk with your family! Just move!
- Live Light Live Right wants to help! Research has shown that being a part of a social group makes weight management and a healthy lifestyle significantly more sustainable. The Live Light Live Right program has been around for 14 years and we hope to be around for many more! We have an incredibly supportive environment not only with the Live Light Live Right staff but with each of you! Life-long friends have been made within the children and the parents. Come to the next exercise class, the next workshop, the next health fair! We will always be there to welcome you with a big smile and open arms!
Now let’s get healthy together!
For more information call Rena at 718-221-1598