Who loves cheese grits? We do! They’re delicious and creamy and, if prepared with low-fat, nutritious ingredients, can be a wonderful, healthy meal. We found this terrific cheese grits recipe. Make it with the kids, you’ll be surprised by how quickly it’s gone!
2 servings, about 1 cup each | Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup quick grits
- 1/4 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (light, reduced fat or low fat) , divided
- Combine milk, water and salt in a saucepan over medium heat; heat until almost boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low, whisk in grits and cook, whisking constantly, until they start to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Cover and let stand until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the grits are creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide between 2 bowls, sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese and serve.
Try using regular grits rather than instant grits, as they are more nutritious. This would require about 20 minutes of cooking as compared to 2-3 minutes.
Nutritional Information: Per serving, 1 cup each
|Calories||Protein (g)||Carbohydrate (g)||FAT (g)||Fiber (g)||Sodium (mg)|