Mac n’ Cheese is always a dinnertime winner. But, it’s often heavy on the fat and thin on the nutrition. This recipe cuts down on the fat, so your kids will get all the tasty mac n’cheese they love while making healthier choices.
10 servings, about ½ c each; | Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon no-salt seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup light or reduced fat cheddar cheese (about 4 oz/cup)
- 1 cup shredded light or reduced fat American cheese
- 3 teaspoons light margarine (made from liquid vegetable oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- Bring 1/2 gallon water to a boil, Add macaroni noodles and stir. As soon as the water comes to a rapid boil, cook for another 3-5 minutes until tender. Turn off heat, drain noodles and immediately rinse with cold water to cool the noodles. Drain and set aside.
- Combine egg substitute with the milk, then add all seasonings. Mix well.
- Mix all cheeses and margarine with the macaroni.
- Spray a four-quart casserole dish with vegetable spray.
- Pour macaroni-cheese mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Pour the egg-milk mixture over the macaroni.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Information: Per serving
|Calories||Protein (g)||Carbohydrate (g)||FAT (g)||Fiber (g)||Sodium (mg)|